Pond lining film is a revolutionary concept in water management which dramatically reduces seepage loss at a reasonable cost. Lining film is tough, wide width, black, low density polyethylene (LDPE) film by Co-extrusion blown film technique
Benefits of Pond and Reservoir lining with plastics film
- Reduction in seepage losses to the maximum extent (95%).
- Harvesting and storing of rain water from early monsoons.
- Utilisation of harvested rain water for short during crops as well as during off season.
- Lining of ponds and reservoirs improve water availability over a longer period of time.
- It is highly useful in porous soils where water retention in ponds and water harvesting tanks is minimal.
- Economical and effective method of storing water.
- Eliminates water logging and prevents upward intrusion of salts into stored water.
- Useful for the purpose of storage of drinking water, for pisciculture and for providing supplementary irrigation. A large number of ponds have been lined with plastics for providing drinking water in the coastal and hilly areas of Gujarat, West Bengal, Karnataka and Himachal Pradesh, and uttaranchal.
- Prevents soil erosion.
- Technique is also suitable for effluent ponds and channels to reduce soil and ground water contamination.
- This technique can also be used in the lining of salt pans for improving productivity as well as quality of salt.
Lining of film is done with heat sealing technology in which laps of films are kept adjoined and then jointed with heat sealer of hot iron. The temperature of the iron shall be adjusted and maintained at 1500C and pressed on the film for joint over lapping.